I think listening is probably the most important skill of all. It’s a gateway to all other skills. Reading is also important, but listening even more so, because whereas it’s difficult for most people to fill their days with reading, it’s fairly easy to fill our lives with Chinese audio. The better our listening ability gets, the more we get out of listening. We can extract vocabulary from what we hear, we can learn how words are used in context and we can polish our understanding of Chinese pronunciation.
I have written a lot about listening ability, but some articles are more important than others. To begin with, I’ve written a series of articles about listening ability, containing the following articles.
Apart from these articles, there are also others that focus directly on specific aspects of listening ability.
Articles directly related to listening ability
Listening ability, a matter of practice?
Make sure listening isn’t a practical problem
Listening to the listener
How to find more time to practise listening
Triggering quantum leaps in listening ability
Articles indirectly related to listening ability
The importance of knowing many words
Pros and cons with travelling to learn a language
Diversified learning is smart learning
Benchmarking progress to stay motivated
Reading manga for more than just pleasure
Mapping the terra incognita of vocabulary
Can you become fluent in Chinese in three months?
The 10,000 hour rule – Blood, sweat and tears
A complete list of all articles about listening ability:
- Using voice messaging to practise Chinese speaking and listening
- The Hacking Chinese tone training course
- How to learn to hear the tones in Mandarin
- Chinese listening practice with 锵锵三人行
- Learning Chinese through audio books
- Bite-sized learning isn’t enough to learn Chinese
- Review: FluentU Chinese
- Three steps to more and better Chinese listening practice
- How knowing your best performance in Chinese can help you improve
- Learning how to ask for and receive directions in Chinese
- The 10 best free listening resource collections for learning Chinese
- Change your attitude to enjoy life and learn more Chinese
- Is speaking more important than listening when learning Chinese?
- A learner’s guide to TV shows in Chinese, part 2
- How and why to watch the world cup in Chinese
- A learner’s guide to TV shows in Chinese, part 1
- How and why to use television to learn Chinese
- The Grand Listening Cycle: Improve your Chinese listening ability
- Improving Foreign Language Pronunciation: Interview with Hacking Chinese on Language is Culture
- Do you really know how to count in Chinese?
- Using Audacity to learn Chinese (speaking and listening)
- 14 extra songs to learn Chinese and expand your horizons
- The Cthulhu bubble and studying Chinese
- Measurable progress is a double-edged sword
- RTI, my favourite radio station
- 13 more songs to learn Chinese and expand your horizons
- Vocalise more to learn more Chinese
- A guide to Pinyin traps and pitfalls
- 12 songs to learn Chinese and expand your horizons
- Learning Chinese with StarCraft 2
- Why learning Chinese through music is underrated
- Listening strategies: Diversify your listening practice
- Listening strategies: Deliberate practice and i+2
- Listening strategies: Improving listening speed
- Listening strategies: Active listening
- Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2: Playing computer games in Chinese
- Listening strategies: Passive listening
- Listening strategies: Background listening
- Listening strategies: Problem analysis
- Listening strategies: An introduction
- The 10,000 hour rule – Blood, sweat and tears
- Understanding regionally accented Mandarin
- Can you become fluent in Chinese in three months?
- Triggering quantum leaps in listening ability
- Benchmarking progress to stay motivated
- How to find more time to practise listening
- Learn Chinese by listening to the listener
- Make sure listening isn’t a practical problem
- Diversified learning is smart learning
- A smart method to discover problems with tones
- Pros and cons with travelling to learn a language
- Listening ability, a matter of practice?
- The importance of knowing many words