Improving Chinese listening ability is very important for all learners. It’s the door to all other skills. The other skills are also important, but none improves your general ability as much as listening. Added to that, you can spend far more time listening than you can with any other skill. On this page, I discuss how to your Chinese listening ability.
If you want more general advice, please sign up for my free introduction course. I will summarise and introduce the most important things to keep in mind when learning Mandarin:
Now over to more listening, though. The better your listening ability gets, the more you get out of listening. You can extract vocabulary from what you hear, you learn how words are used in context and you can polish your understanding of Chinese pronunciation.
I have written a lot about listening ability, but some articles are more important than others. To begin with, I’ve written a series of articles about listening ability, containing the following articles.
Apart from these articles, there are also others that focus directly on specific aspects of listening ability.
Articles directly related to listening ability
Listening ability, a matter of practice?
Make sure listening isn’t a practical problem
Listening to the listener
How to find more time to practise listening
Triggering quantum leaps in listening ability
Articles indirectly related to listening ability
The importance of knowing many words
Pros and cons with travelling to learn a language
Diversified learning is smart learning
Benchmarking progress to stay motivated
Reading manga for more than just pleasure
Mapping the terra incognita of vocabulary
Can you become fluent in Chinese in three months?
The 10,000 hour rule – Blood, sweat and tears
A complete list of all articles about listening ability:
- How to figure out how good your Chinese is
- The simple trick I used to double the amount of Chinese I listen to
- Does using colour to represent Mandarin tones make them easier to learn?
- Can too much guidance make you learn less Chinese?
- Why is listening in Chinese so hard?
- Training your Chinese teacher, part 3: Listening ability
- New course: Unlocking Chinese – The Ultimate Guide for Beginners
- The nine principles of learning (and the mistakes from failing to follow them)
- Review: Mandarin Companion: Easy to read novels in Chinese
- 101 questions and answers about how to learn Chinese
- How to play adventure text games with a Chinese teacher
- Free and easy audio flashcards for Chinese dictation practice with Anki
- The Hacking Chinese guide to Mandarin tones
- How and why to learn and teach Chinese through games
- New text game for Chinese learners: The Magistrate’s Gallery
- Five text games for Chinese learners
- Training and testing your ability to hear Mandarin sounds
- Advanced listening and reading with Skeptoid Chinese
- Let’s play 迷霧中 (Into the Haze)
- Into the Haze: A new text adventure game for Chinese learners
- How narrow listening and reading can help you learn Chinese
- Comprehension-based listening vs deep end immersion
- 8 great ways to scaffold your Chinese learning
- 10 ways of using games to learn and teach Chinese
- A student’s guide to comprehension-based learning
- The benefits of a comprehension-based approach for teaching and learning Chinese
- An introduction to comprehension-based Chinese teaching and learning
- Transcribing Chinese audio as an active form of listening practice
- Accessing Chinese culture through cartoons
- Learning Chinese through comprehensible input
- ChinesePod review: Your companion to Mandarin fluency
- Listen before you read: Improve your listening ability
- Using voice messaging to practise Chinese speaking and listening
- The Hacking Chinese tone training course
- How to learn to hear the tones in Mandarin
- Chinese listening practice with 锵锵三人行
- Learning Chinese through audio books
- Bite-sized learning isn’t enough to learn Chinese
- Review: FluentU Chinese
- Three steps to more and better Chinese listening practice
- How knowing your best performance in Chinese can help you improve
- Learning how to ask for and receive directions in Chinese
- The 10 best free listening resource collections for learning Chinese
- Change your attitude to enjoy life and learn more Chinese
- Is speaking more important than listening when learning Chinese?
- A learner’s guide to TV shows in Chinese, part 2
- How and why to watch the world cup in Chinese
- A learner’s guide to TV shows in Chinese, part 1
- How and why to use television to learn Chinese
- The grand listening cycle: Improve your Chinese listening ability
- Improving Foreign Language Pronunciation: Interview with Hacking Chinese on Language is Culture
- Do you really know how to count in Chinese?
- Using Audacity to learn Chinese (speaking and listening)
- 14 extra songs to learn Chinese and expand your horizons
- The Cthulhu bubble and studying Chinese
- Measuring your language learning is a double-edged sword
- RTI, my favourite radio station
- 13 more songs to learn Chinese and expand your horizons
- Vocalise more to learn more Chinese
- A guide to Pinyin traps and pitfalls: Learn Mandarin pronunciation
- 12 songs to learn Chinese and expand your horizons
- Learning Chinese with StarCraft 2
- Why learning Chinese through music is underrated
- Chinese listening strategies: Diversify your listening practice
- Chinese listening strategies: Deliberate practice and i+2
- Chinese listening strategies: Improving listening speed
- Chinese listening strategies: Active listening
- Playing computer games in Chinese: Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2
- Chinese listening strategies: Passive listening
- Chinese listening strategies: Background listening
- Chinese listening strategies: Problem analysis
- Chinese listening strategies: An introduction
- The 10,000 hour rule – Blood, sweat and tears
- Understanding regionally accented Mandarin
- Can you become fluent in Chinese in three months?
- Triggering quantum leaps in Chinese listening ability
- Benchmarking progress in Chinese to stay motivated
- How to find more time to practise Chinese listening
- Improve your conversations by listening to the listener
- Make sure listening practice isn’t a practical problem
- Diversify the way you learn Chinese
- A smart method to discover problems with Chinese tones
- Pros and cons with travelling to learn a language
- Chinese listening ability, a matter of practice?
- The importance of knowing many words in Chinese