This week’s podcast episode (number 165) is a reader and listener Q&A, where I answer three questions sent to me about expanding vocabulary quickly, learning by watching videos and nailing dictation tests. If you have a question you would like me to address on the podcast, you can leave a comment below or contact me in some other way.
Links to things mentioned in the introduction
- Chinese pronunciation challenge, October 2023
- Hacking Chinese Challenges
- Barbarians at the Gate on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and Spotify
Links for question #1: Expanding vocabulary quickly
- The new paperless revolution in Chinese reading
- An introduction to extensive reading for Chinese learners
Links for question #2: Learning by watching videos
- The 10 best free Chinese listening resources for beginner, intermediate and advanced learners
- Can too much guidance make you learn less Chinese?
Links for question #3: Nailing dictation tests
- Do you have to learn to write Chinese characters by hand?
- The building blocks of Chinese, part 1: Chinese characters and words in a nutshell
- How to learn Chinese characters as a beginner
- Kickstart your learning with the Skritter Character Course
- Skritter review: Boosting your Chinese character learning
- Spaced repetition software and why you should use it
- Why spaced repetition software is uniquely well suited to learning Chinese characters
- Free and easy audio flashcards for Chinese dictation practice with Anki
Tips and tricks for how to learn Chinese directly in your inbox
I've been learning and teaching Chinese for more than a decade. My goal is to help you find a way of learning that works for you. Sign up to my newsletter for a 7-day crash course in how to learn, as well as weekly ideas for how to improve your learning!