- How many words is reasonable to learn in a day?
- Will focusing on radicals make learning characters easier?
- And should you learn simplified or traditional characters?
This week’s podcast episode (number 174) is a reader and listener Q&A, where I answer three questions sent to me about Chinese vocabulary.
Links to things mentioned in the introduction
- Chinese vocabulary challenge, December 2023
- Hacking Chinese Challenges
- Kickstart your learning with the Skritter Character Course
Links for question #1: How many words to learn
- Why flashcards are great for learning Chinese
- Should you learn Chinese vocabulary from lists?
- Which words you should learn and where to find them
- Learning Chinese words really fast
- How to become fluent in Chinese
- Analyse and balance your Chinese learning with Paul Nation’s four strands
Links for question #2: If it’s good to learn radicals
- How to look up Chinese characters you don’t know
- The building blocks of Chinese, part 1: Chinese characters and words in a nutshell
Links for question #3: Simplified vs. traditional characters
Tips and tricks for how to learn Chinese directly in your inbox
I've been learning and teaching Chinese for more than a decade. My goal is to help you find a way of learning that works for you. Sign up to my newsletter for a 7-day crash course in how to learn, as well as weekly ideas for how to improve your learning!