- Recent articles
- Ask a question
- HC elsewhere
This is just a short notice to let you know that “Defining Language Hacking: Lessons Learned From Hacking Chinese“, an article written by me, has been published over at The Mezzofanti Guild. As the title implies, it deals mainly with language hacking, but I also talk a little bit about my own background and my approach to learning Chinese. Since this article contains quite a lot of material I haven’t mentioned anywhere else on the internet, I thought it worth recommending.
Hacking Chinese elsewhere
I think it’s quite likely that I will continue producing material I don’t host myself, so therefore I have just launched a new page called “Hacking Chinese elsewhere” (if anyone can come up with a better title, let me know). On this page, I intend to gather anything of interest regarding Hacking Chinese that isn’t hosted by myself. So far, there is one interview, one recommendation and the guest article mentioned above.
The Mezzofanti Guild
There are tons of language learning websites out there, so I thought I’d take this opportunity to explain why The Mezzofanti Guild is worth checking out, even if you’re only interested in learning Chinese. Donovan Nagel, the author behind the website, has spent way more time than I have learning different languages, and thus has a broader approach and more diverse experience. Many of the articles he writes are relevant for Chinese learners, though.
Here are a few of my favourites (there are of course many, many more, but it depends a little bit on what you’re interested in):
- Get Your Foreign Language Pronunciation Right From The Start
- Reflections Of A Visual-Spatial Language Learner
That’s all for today, stay tuned!
Please consider supporting Hacking Chinese so that I can keep providing free content. Please also visit the site sponsors for high-quality Chinese products and services.
Table of ContentsWelcome!
Attitude and mentality
Organising and planning
Key study hacks
Learning in class
Learning outside class
Immersion and integration
Science and research
A chronological list of all posts
An alphabetical list of all tags
About Hacking Chinese
- Janelle on Learning Chinese words really fast
- Hugh Grigg on Flashcard overflow: About card models and review directions
- Flashcard overflow: About card models and review directions | Hacking Chinese - 揭密中文 on Kickstart your character learning with the 100 most common radicals
- Olle Linge on Learning how to fish: Or, why it’s essential to know how to learn
- Learning how to fish: Or, why it’s essential to know how to learn | Hacking Chinese - 揭密中文 on A smart method to discover problems with tones
- I Was Wrong About China: A First Two Weeks in China (and Chinese) « Scott H Young mentioned Focusing on tone pairs to improve your Mandarin pronunciation
- Olle Linge - Languages, literature and the pursuit of dreams · Halfway to 60, happy birthday to me! mentioned 25 books I read in Chinese last year
- On the nature of Chinese characters mentioned Learning Chinese in the shower with me
- My Plan for Learning Chinese Over Three Months « Scott H Young mentioned A guide to Pinyin traps and pitfalls
- How to Learn to Speak Perfect Mandarin Chinese Tones mentioned Learning the third tone in Chinese
Twitter activityMy Tweets
Article tagsAnki Attitude Being corrected Benchmarking Challenge Character components Characters Culture Dialogue Efficiency Friends Goals Grammar Handwriting HSK Immersion Language exchange Leeches Listening strategies Literature Micro goals Mistakes Mnemonics Motivation Music Native speakers passive listening Planning Pronunciation Radicals Reading aloud Reading speed Sensible character learning Skritter Software Spaced repetition software SRS Taiwan Teachers TOCFL Tones Toolkit Vocabulary Words Zhongwen.com